Compassion Magazine

Passionist Nuns in America

Plans for a foundation of the Passionist nuns in America began as early as 1860, when the American provincial, John Dominick Tarlattini wrote to the Passionist general, Anthony Testa, requesting them. However, the venture was delayed -- due to financial constraints -- until the American Provincial Chapter of 1908, which invited the nuns to make a foundation in Pittsburgh. (right: Pittsburgh Monastery and Retreat House, 1914)

Founded by St.Paul of the Cross in 1771 in Italy, the Passionist Nuns are dedicated to the mystery of the Passion of Jesus, and seek to promote a grateful memory of this mystery through prayer and contemplation.

At prayer
at prayer, Clarks Summit
St Joseph's Monastery
St Joseph's Monastery, Whitesville, Kentucky

Five nuns from the convent in Corneto (now Tarquinia), Italy, arrived in the United States April 14, 1910. The Convent of Our Lady of Sorrows was dedicated in July, 1910. Retreats for women began July 24, 1911.

Four new foundations were made from Pittsburgh: St.Gabriel's, Scranton, Pennsylvania (1926), the Monastery of the Sacred Passion, Erlanger, Kentucky (1947), the Monastery of the Immaculate Conception, St.Louis, Missouri (1948), and Osaka, Japan (1957).

From Scranton, the Monastery of St. Joseph was founded in Owensboro, Kentucky in 1946 and the convent of Our Lady of Hope in Marbel, Philippines in 1969.

The Monastery of Our Lady of the Passion, Daventry, England, was begun in 1964 from Erlanger, Kentucky.

right: Passionist Nuns at Whitesville, Kentucky

 

 

 

 

 

 

directory for this issue act with Compassion
home page for this issuedirectory of past issues

Sign of the Passion

email questions or comments
Copyright 2002 - all rights reserved - Passionist Missionaries of Union City, NJ, USA