A visual guide to the Basilica of Saints John and Paul, Rome
Right, bell tower (12th-13th century) built over the travertine foundations of the Temple of Claudius and the Claudianum (1st century). The large sunken door to the left of the bell tower on the piazza leads to an ancient street before the Claudianum.
To the left of the bell tower are 11th-12th century buildings of the Monastery of Saints John and Paul, begun by Cardinal Theobald. Its original entrance, now enclosed, is seen to the right of the narthex (or porch at the entrance to the basilica) on the piazza. The double-arched windows above the door to the Claudianum marks the room where St.Paul of the Cross died. (October 18,1775)
The narthex was constructed by Cardinal di Sutri in the middle of the 12th century. Above it is the 13th century gallery, built by Cardinal Savelli, who became Pope Honorius III.
The five large arches and columns on the upper façade of the basilica are from the original 5th century basilica.The large round dome to the right of façade was constructed in the 19th century as part of the shrine to St.Paul of the Cross.
On the left hand side of the basilica is the ancient street, Clivus Scauri, connecting the Coelian Hill to the Palatine Hill. Spanned by seven brick arches that buttress the 5th century church, the road runs past the 3rd century apartment houses, parts of which can be seen in the church's foundations.
for a New Age